03 Jan Don’t Forget; Feng Shui is about YOU
There is a lot of turbulence in the world right now. With the recent election results, people are either elated or terrified. Without getting into political debate here, I think we can all agree that there is quite a bit of uncertainty facing us as we head into 2017. That is why, no matter where you stand on the subject, this will be a vital year to make sure you are taking care of YOU.
Two ways to support yourself in these high emotion times are by creating a sacred space and ensuring you have a meditation/relaxation practice.
There are entire books written about these topics, but here are a few tips to get you started.
Create a sacred space
- This should be a place you can retreat to relax, possibly meditate and find inspiration
- Choose a space that you are comfortable (like a favorite room/or place to sit)
- Make it yours by adding personal photos or other mementos or special items
- Make it useful with a table, pen and paper for journaling
- Make it inviting with a comfy chair and a blanket or scarf
- Make the “scenery” supportive by being aware of what you are looking at when sitting there (e.g. looking out a window versus looking at a work desk)
- Adjust it until it feels right. Trust yourself that you will know
- Utilize this space in the months to come whenever you feel unbalanced
Begin a meditation practice
- You can do a quick web search and find out the many benefits to meditation. This is another area you can start with a simple process
- Pick a spot to be reflective; maybe it’s your sacred space if it’s a quiet area
- Schedule time during the day (at least in the beginning) to practice
- Set a timer (e.g. for 5 min to start) so you don’t have to track and your mind can relax
- Find a mantra you like or sit in silence. Visualize a broom sweeping your mind to remove the mental clutter
- Focus on your breath and just “be” for those few minutes
Now that we’re officially in the Western New Year and the upcoming Chinese New Year (Fire Rooster) is coming quickly, this is a great time to renew. Make a commitment to yourself for the coming year to figure out how you will support yourself. In times like these, we must focus within to support our outer selves.