02 Jun Flushing out the Bathroom: Is Your Feng Shui Going Down the Drain?
Because Feng Shui is a language of metaphor, if someone feels “drained” or describes opportunities as “flushing away,” those words can point to the negative impact of the bathroom. It’s hard to imagine living without an indoor bathroom, yet their convenience is often over-ridden by their Feng Shui challenges. We don’t want to see them when we first enter a space, while we’re eating, or when we’re sleeping in order to avoid our energy being drained.
However, the bathroom has moved from being strictly functional to a room that feels like a spa. Adding the ability to wash up and brush our teeth, bathe and/or shower, and put on make-up in the same space as the toilet has added a whole new consideration to the room we originally considered a necessary evil. People have come to love their bathrooms and often see them as sanctuaries.
Here are some Feng Shui considerations to make your bathroom even more spectacular:
- Because the bathroom now encourages a person to linger, don’t be afraid to hang artwork on the walls. This may be artwork that you don’t want others to see due to its intimate nature or it may simply be something you love.
- Have the option to change the lighting in order to emphasize its versatility—–bright for getting ready in the morning and dim for relaxing in the tub.
- Error on the side of lush when considering the design of your bathroom. This might include thick plush towels, soft rugs and fresh flowers.
- Be certain that the wall colors are complimentary to your skin tones. If you don’t look good in blue, you wouldn’t want to fix your hair in a room with blue walls.
- To balance all the water that is naturally present in the bathroom, add a plant or flowers (Wood element) and candles or the color red (Fire element).
As Feng Shui consultants, we still analyze the placement of the bathroom in relation to the rest of the house. However, a beautifully appointed bathroom is not as apt to drain your energy as one that is purely functional.